Planning a trip but don't own a kayak? Let us help you out! We can advise you on some of the best paddles in our area and rent you a kayak for the day to get the trip done. Maybe you'd prefer accompanying us on a guided kayak paddle? Simply contact us with your preferred date and we will reserve your trip. Please allow a two week window for best chance at availability.. Indicate whether you would like a guide or simply rent the kayaks to go out on your own. We will deliver the kayak to your choice of put in and load them back up once you return. Please keep in mind we rent kayaks on a part-time basis, therefore our trips book up sometimes, a month in advance.
Leave the hard work to us. Please note that trip deposits and fees are non-refundable. Trips are subject to change due to weather. Should your trip be canceled on our end, you will receive a full refund of any deposit or fee. All other cancellations are nonrefundable. Kayaks will be available for rent most evenings 5PM-9PM during the summer months, and available weekends by reservation. Give us a call or email and we will set you up!
General fee is $10.00 an hour, higher rates for guided trips.
Self Guided Trips
Please let us know in your email which self guided trip you are interested in and on which date. If the date you are looking for is open, we will provide you with what you need to be on your way. If your first preference date is not available, we will work with you in finding alternative dates for your trip.
Grigsby Outdoor Adventures is starting as a part-time venture therefore we appreciate your understanding and patience. Rental and trip availability will increase as the business grows.
1. The Little Sandy Spillway Paddle: A self guided tour of the Little Sandy River from Grayson Lake Spillway to the take out off rt. 7. Trip takes approx 3 hours. We will meet you at the spillway to rent your equipment and pick you up at the takeout three hours later for a shuttle back to your vehicle. Enjoy one of the loveliest stretches of the Little Sandy River! $35.00 per person. Full fee will be due for this trip online or over the phone prior to trip. Kayaks available for rent most evenings and weekends for use on Lake or River. Call to reserve your kayak.
2. Bruin Splash and Play Paddle: We will meet you at Bruin Boat ramp to rent your equipment. Enjoy this part of Grayson Lake for some great spots to splash and play. Kayaks can be rented for 3 hours at $30.00 per person. $10.00 for each additional hour and time for pickup must be arranged prior to paddle. We will be back to get you at Bruin Boat ramp at the agreed upon time. Email us to make your reservation. Full fee will be due for this trip online or over the phone prior to trip and any additional time to be paid when turning in kayak at end of trip.
3. Shuttle for Tygart Gorge: (Pending water levels and access) This is a self guided (not for beginners) paddle that takes you to the breathtaking Carter County Gorge only accessible by water. This trip may require hiking steep inclines and pulling boat if water is low. Due to minimal access points, and additional insurance liability requirements, we are only able to offer shuttle for this creek at this time. We highly recommend this beautiful paddle! Carter Caves also offers a guided trip on this creek. Check with them as well! We can offer shuttle from your choice of put in from Olive Hill and will shuttle you back from take out near Carter Caves entrance on 182. Shuttle fee is $30.00 for a single canoe or kayak, 2 or more boats fee is $15.00 per boat with maximum of 8 boats. Call for details and group rates may apply.
4. The Moonlight Paddle: Enjoy paddling over beautiful Grayson Lake to the shimmer of a Full Moon. Want to WOW that someone special with a unique date night? This is your chance! We will be set up at the Bruin ramp area to rent kayaks on designated dates. Watch our Facebook page for pending dates. Full fee will be due online or over the phone prior to trip. $20.00 for two hour paddle. Paddle time will be from dusk Approx 8:30PM-10:00PM. $20.00 per kayak. Email us to make your reservation.
5. Laurel Gorge Paddle (Level 3) By reservation May-October. 6 spots per trip availability. Meet us at the Cliffside ramp to park your vehicles, then carpool to follow us to the Laurel Gorge walk down ramp for put in. Trip is approx 2-4 hrs pending skill and speed. $40.00 per kayak.
6. Hidden Cove self guided. Don't miss this legendary "hidden" gem on Grayson Lake. Meet at Clifty Boat ramp trip takes approx 3 hours roundtrip. $30.00 per kayak. **Our most popular trip!**
7.Caney Creek. Take an in and out trip to some of the waterfalls near this area. Meets at Caney ramp and comes back to Caney ramp.
$30.00 per kayak
8. Customizeable Paddles: We can do this too. Know where you would like to go and approx how long you would need the kayak? We will rent to you in our area and on Grayson Lake. We have contract with Army Corps of Engineers allowing us to operate on the lake and surrounding area here which will enable us to deliver a kayak to your choice of ramp. We may also rent to you for access to the Little Sandy River.
9. Just need a SHUTTLE? We got you covered. Just contact us with details of what you need (two week in advance for best chance at reservation) and we will arrange pick up and drop off and kayak shuttle for you.
Price varies based on location of trip and specifics of shuttle.
More Trips to be added soon! STAY TUNED and LIKE us on Facebook so you can stay up to date with announcements and new trips as they are scheduled!
Guided Paddle Trips (by reservation only)
10. Hidden Cove Waterfall Paddle By reservation May-October. 6 spots per trip availability
Join us on this leisurely paced trip that takes you to one of our favorite sections of Grayson Lake where you will paddle underneath and between rock walls to a hidden waterfall. There is also beautiful scenery you can find nowhere else but in Carter County along the way. Light lunch will be provided. Please give us any dietary restrictions you may have upon reservation. We will meet in Grayson to complete trip requirements and review safety guidelines and then depart toward the put in and take out area of the Lake. Trip will take anywhere from 3-4 hours. Please review our waiver and special trip considerations section of this website be making your selection. Adventure Awaits! $50.00 per person.
11. Laurel Gorge Paddle By reservation May-October. 6 spots per trip availability. Meet us at the Cliffside ramp to park your vehicles then follow us to Laurel Gorge walk down ramp for put in. Trip is approx 2-4 hrs pending skill and speed. $40.00 per kayak.
Stay Tuned for more scheduled/guided trips to be added. LIKE us on Facebook so you can stay up to date with announcements and new trips as they are scheduled.
Throughout the year, Grigsby Outdoor Adventures will offer scheduled mini road trips and adventures for you to embark on and experience just as we experience them. These tours range from primitive/semi-primitive camping trips to destinations of mystery and exploration. There will also be annual events scheduled and plans are in the works now for Wellness workshops and a Music Festival. If you are an outdoors enthusiast with skills and experience to offer, Grigsby Outdoor Adventures would love to hear from you! We are looking for guest speakers and musicians for both of these upcoming events! Hope to hear from you soon!